Wednesday, January 06, 2016

First Project of the New Year - Adding a New Kitchen Island

Well January is well underway and with that we are continuing to work on finishing up the kitchen.

Last week we purchased a new island for the kitchen at Costco.  I gave you a sneak peek of the island on Facebook last week.  We bought the Whalen Industrial Metal and Wood Workbench.

Sunday morning McG took apart the old island and split it into two cabinets and we moved them on either side of the picture window by the dining table.  Here's a quick pic I took with my phone...sorry for the grainy appearance.  We still have to paint the base of the cabinet.



Here's the inspiration we had in mind when we purchased the island.  An open bottomed island with a more industrial look.  A statement piece for the kitchen.


The island was fairly easy to put together and McG did all the work on this one - he deserves the credit.


Some of the photos were taken at night, so I apologize for the photos, but I was able to get a few today while the sun was out as well.


I added some baskets to the bottom to hold some cutting boards, and mason jars and an industrial looking basket to hold my potatoes.




Our existing bar stools look good with the island and we will be keeping them for now.  You can see half of the old island in the background of this picture.



We are enjoying the new island and the contrast it brings to the white kitchen.  What do you think of the new island?  Is it something you might like in your home?  We'd love to hear from you!!

Cheryl

Linking up @:

12 comments:

  1. Love it, it definitely is a statement piece. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new island.....I'm about to start remodeling my kitchen and your island gives me ideas for mine....thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! Glad you could stop over and visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great makeover! I just found your blog and spent yesterday reading all your posts from the beginning. You've given me some great ideas for my new "downsize" home (also a manufactured home on a private lake). Best wishes to your garden and home this coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your new island looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome new island my friend, I love it!
    Hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your new island is fabulous. I love the industrial look although it doesn't fit in my 1920's cottage.

    I can't wait to see the rest of your kitchen.

    Thanks for Sharing Your Cup!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good choice, love the industrial look of the island and especially the wheels. That's great to be able to move it around. You are way ahead of me in our remodel so it's great to see where you have been and where you are now in the remodel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Cheryl! I absolutely LOVE this idea, and am contemplating getting one for a new addition we've just completed, but need your help desperately! Could you please tell me how high the top of the lower shelf is off the floor, and how high the casters are and if they're removable. I have to scoot this baby up against a wall that has a heating/cooling unit which is 42" wide, and sits off the floor only 4 3/4 inches. I was hoping this unit would fit snug inside that area. Could you please let me know the dimensions of the lower shelf area at your earliest convenience? How are you loving that piece? It looks spectacular in your kitchen. Thanks a MILLION!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry for the delay in replying - your comment came to me as "a no-reply blogger" - the shelf is 9 inches off the floor with the wheels, but the wheels are 6 inches high - so if you took them off it might be too low for where you want to use it - the wheels lock in place so that should work for you

      Delete
  10. Hi Cheryl! Can you tell me the height of your bar stools? I want to make sure my existing ones would fit under this.

    Thank you for sharing and posting great pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We just bought the Whalen Industrial Metal and Wood Workbench and using it as a studio work space table but I love your idea for an island. Looks just gorgeous! We also bought their shelving and they were quiet easy to install. So far I am very impressed with their products. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Annabelle

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog...please feel free to leave a comment or ask questions...and if you like this post - PLEASE SHARE!!!