Thursday, February 21, 2013

A Little Taste of Mexico...Chicken Tortilla Soup

Okay - we are leaving the DIY behind today in favour of showing you this great new soup recipe that I found.

Many of you know that I am currently trying to eat gluten free...I started this journey after reading the book entitled, Wheat Belly.   Now, I'm not going to push this way of life on anyone - but this has been a conscious choice for me for the last month and a half or so...

It is not as difficult as I thought adapting to this lifestyle change.  Especially when you can make tasty things like this...


MEXICAN TORTILLA SOUP!!!  This is the recipe in the Wheat Belly book - however I modified it a bit, because I didn't have all the ingredients on hand.  Regardless though it was amazingly good and very easy to make.

I sauteed 1/2 an onion and 2 large cloves of garlic in some olive oil.  I did not saute the chicken because I used pre-cooked chicken I had on hand in my fridge, leftover from last night's dinner.


Instead of boxed chicken stock, I used 4 cups of water with 2 tablespoons of chicken bouillon powder mix.  Next I added a large can of diced tomatoes.  I then added a chopped green pepper and some mushrooms that I sliced up. (The recipe doesn't call for mushrooms, but I had them here!)  The recipe does call for jalapeno pepper but because I didn't have any on hand, I omitted that.   I then added the cooked chicken once the stock and tomatoes came to a boil.  I turned down the heat and added the sauteed onion and garlic and some freshly cracked pepper and salt to taste.


I simmered the soup for 30 minutes as directed and then served it up in a shallow bowl.  I added 1 ounce of shredded cheddar cheese to the top...



and then instead of crackers, I added corn tortilla chips..



The recipe suggests also to serve it with sliced avocado and cilantro on top, as well as, sour cream.  Since I didn't have those things on hand, again I omitted them.

The soup has wonderful flavour and is very filling.  It's definitely a soup I think you should try!


Cheryl

1 comment:

  1. Found you on Little home and garden Facebook page. This soup looks great. Would love it if you would link this up to our Foodie friends Friday linky party. You can link up to 3 recipes and we have a great giveaway too..Newest Follower.
    Here is the link: http://marlys-thisandthat.blogspot.com/2013/02/foodie-friends-friday-don-tomas-coffee.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog...please feel free to leave a comment or ask questions...and if you like this post - PLEASE SHARE!!!